Friday, January 20, 2006

The Return of Raymond Minix

Well, it _would appear_ that Raymond is coming back here to live with me, sort pf against my better judgment, but Christianity, as I understand it, says to forgive and keep on forgiving as much as is humanly possible. Raymond has gone through two roomates in about a month's time, neither of them working out very well for him. He _has_ been on better behavior the last two times I saw him since then, and what is most important to me is my own health and well-being.

First he stayed with Vernon, down the street, for two or three days, until his cat Sassy got badly mistreated by Vern. I agree that situation was not good for him or the cat. Then Raymond moved over on Eighth Street to an apartment above the 'Custom Grill and Bar' with a woman he described as a 'fag-hag' and we all thought that would work out well for him. It turns out _she_ ate up all his food stamps (food via money) for the month and wasn't a very good housekeeper to boot. The cat seemed to enjoy sitting on her perch in the window looking out, and the lady was good to the cat, but according to Raymond, her landlord demanded more money having Raymond live there and would not wait until Raymond's welfare check arrived at the first of February. He was going to compensate the lady (regards the rent) with his food stamps but then the fag-hag, (whom he described as a 'fat pig' with whatever that disease is called [where one eats far too much food then throws up] ate up all the food stamp allowance for the month) made it an undesirable situation for him. Furthermore, according to Raymond, she refused to clean up their apartment. I said to Raymond, it sounds a lot like when you were living here with me, doesn't it?

He had been coming around every day or two to get messages left for him on the phone and hint at how much he missed being here with me. Finally he came out and asked yesterday could he return? I told him I would 'give it a lot of thought' which I have been doing but that if he was permitted to return here, he would have to commit to at least one hour of housework daily, which is more than ample; after all, I have a housekeeper from Windsor Place (our local housekeeping service) who comes around every Wednesday for a couple hours and her work plus what Raymond could do if he would help would be quite adequate.

I sort of remember Ira Jones, an older guy who helped me out a lot now about forty years ago; Ira was gay and also an Episcopalian (not that either of those two conditions _should matter_ although I guess they do) and I did not treat Ira as nicely as I should have either, but he was kind to me and forgiving; the very least I can do is return what he gave me. Ira died several years ago from a heart attack.

Well, Raymond is my chance to pay back the kindnesses Ira showed me over the years. I only hope Raymond continues to 'pay it forward' as he gets older, and hopefully less screwed up in his thinking, etc.

PAT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home